EUGENE C. PULLIAM (1889-1975) published a chain of seven outstanding daily newspapers in Oklahoma (1929-40) at Altus, Clinton, EI Reno, Mangum, Hobart, Elk City and Alva. His trademark was community development during those formative years of the new state. He owned and operated at least 47 newspapers—as many as 23 at one time—in eight states. Many of them he sold to his managers and editors, including those at Altus and EI Reno. He was cofounder of Sigma Delta Chi Professional Journalism Society, served on the Associated Press board of directors for nine years, and was one of the William Allen White Foundation trustees.