DONALD J. MORRISON (1913-1988) was editor and publisher of his family’s newspaper, The Waurika News-Democrat, from 1951 to 1981. A prolific writer, he was a champion of responsible and quality community journalism. His untiring efforts—using the resources and influence of the newspaper—over a 25-year span led to the construction of the 10,100-acre Waurika Lake, which protects Waurika from perennial floods, provides water to six municipalities, and boosts the economy and population of the rural area as a recreational magnet. Morrison was named “Mr. Waurika Lake” in a memorial at the Corps of Engineers overlook during dedication ceremonies in 1980.